5 Steps to Make DIY Shelf with Rope and Board
Don’t have the skill to make a complicated wall shelf? Try this easy DIY shelf with rope and board. You can finish this project during the weekend, making it a perfect way to add storage space affordably. This shelf is perfect store several hardcover books, trinkets, mini pots, or framed photos.
Materials for DIY Shelf
Your main material is a board, minimum 1 m of length (you can cut it into any length you want). Get a board from woodworking store, warehouse, or carpentry workshop. Treat the wood with polyurethane first if it is untreated. The polyurethane is to prevent pests and bugs from damaging your wood.
Other materials for this simple wall shelf are two large hook screws, a length of rope, drill, and wall plugs. You can leave the wood bare or paint it with any color you want. Use neutral shade to match it with any interior.
Here are the steps to make a DIY hanging shelf:
1. Treat your board (if untreated) and apply the paint you like. Let dry.
2. Drill two holes at each end of the board. Each hole should have a 10 mm size so you can slip the rope through easier. The position of each hole must be close to the plank corner.
3. Cut two lengths from the rope. Each should have 4 x 1 m of length. Feed the end of the ropes through the holes and make tight knots underneath each hole.
4. Test the ropes by placing various pieces of stuff on the plank and lift it from the ground.
5. Drill the wall to attach the large hooks.
If your shelf looks imbalanced, adjust the position by shifting the ropes. You can use the leftover materials to make a smaller, similar shelf, such as for the bathroom or mudroom.
Making a DIY shelf with rope and board can be the start of other creative projects. Make your house more interesting by arranging your goods on this unique shelf.